About This Blog

This blog is a chronicle of my insane personal challenge to celebrate at least one holiday or special day for every single day of 2009. Check back daily for new posts and days to add to next year's calendar!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20th is also Penguin Recognition Day

Since the innauguration of Obama is a historic event, I figured I'd seperate it from the other holiday I celebrated today, Penguin Recognition Day.


HOW I CELEBRATED


After leaving the public viewing of the inauguration at that church, my grandma and I then drove over to the Detroit Zoo where I attempted to interview the zookeeper in charge of the Penguin House. While waiting for her to come out, I hung around and watched the penguins for a bit, something I would've done anyway. When she finally did answer one of my knocks at the Employees Only door, I was informed that unfortunately unless the zoo's PR director approves an interview, it is a breach of the employee agreement to give one. I attempted then to contact the public relations supervisor, but to no avail. I watched March of the Penguins later on OnDemand.
















HOW OTHERS MIGHT CELEBRATE

While it will most likely be too cold for a zoo visit for most, if you can manage to stand the weather to go see Penguins at your local zoo, doing so would be recommended as a possibility. Watching a documentary like, for example, March of the Penguins, would not be a bad choice either. Simply put, doing some sort of educational activity involving penguins is what the day is for.

HISTORICAL/CULTURAL SIGNIFICANCE

While I cannot find clear record of exactly how today originated, a search on it shows that today is the third annual Penguin Recognition Day. I also found that this is an unofficial holiday, but no further information, unfortunately. If anyone knows more, please let me know in the comments section.

UNOFFICIAL THEME SONG
"Birth of a Penguin" from Danny Elfman's original score to the movie "Batman Returns".... is the only thing that I could think of. I'm sure there are more appropriate songs, but I could not turn up any useful results when searching "penguin songs" on Google.

FOOTNOTES

-This holiday is also known as Spheniscid Awareness Day, Penguin Day, and Natl. Penguin Day

-I typed this up on the 20th, and it was post-dated to have the publishing data say that that is when it was posted, but due to a mistake on my part (I forgot to click the 'publish' icon before leaving to hang out at a local coffee house), it was not actually published until the 21st.

Other Holidays and observances on this date include:
-Cheese Day
-Basketball Day
-Catholic Feast Days for Abadios, St. Sebastian, St. Fabian, and Euthymius the Great

No comments:

Post a Comment